Monday, October 17, 2016

3 reasons why you're not hired.

You want to know why you aren't hired?  It's really simple actually, three things.  See if any one of these is your personal kryptonite.


Not studying 21 hours per week:

It doesn't matter if you are self studying, going through Free Code Camp, or an online boot camp.  If you are not on your computer every night for at least 3 hours, you will never have the technical skills required to land an entry level tech job.  This is the most common mistake I see with people who are trying to break into the tech scene.  Sitting on Twitter or coding chats for 3 hours, sharing "great resources" is not studying.  It's okay to do occasionally, but if that becomes your pattern, you won't get hired anytime soon.


Don't have good people skills:
Only 50% of getting hired for an entry level tech position is technical ability.  The other 50% is people skills and knowing how to market yourself.  The best birthday gift I ever receiveed was a used worn out copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.  My Aunt gave me the book and 1 stick of Wrigleys chewing gum for my 14th birthday.  I guess I was a rude bad breathed teenager :-)  That book changed my life, I always get compliments about my ability to connect with people.  How can you nail interviews if you can't connect with people or you come across as rude?  What's the sweetest sound to any person?  hint: it's in the book ( and no I don't get any kickbacks )


Don't know how to sell yourself:
I learned this skill from listening to an interview of Robert Kiyosaki.  He talked about how he wasn't a great writer, but he was a best selling author!  He made it very clear that he wasn't going to ever challenge the great works of fiction.  He talked about how important it is to understand selling, if you ever want to make serious money.  I am always shocked by how many technical people are way under payed.  I have worked with senior level architects for test automation that were just terrible, yet highly paid.  On the flip side I know many talented and skilled developers who make far below what they are worth.  If you don't learn to sell yourself and abilities, you won't be able to nail interviews or even get interviews in the first place.


There are obviously other things that are important to know, but the above 3 are the most common issues that I see.  It's not rocket science or magic to land a tech job.  People all over the U.S. landed tech jobs today, you can join the ranks by following the above list!  Don't give up, you can do this!