Saturday, March 26, 2016

End of coaching, start of Ethical Hacking journey...

There is only so much time in a day, we all have the same amount, doesn't matter who you are or how much money you make :-)

My original goal with learning to code was to become a senior Rails developer one day.  I still like Rails and love coding, but I am turning my focus towards one day becoming an Ethical Hacker.  This goal will take a while I am sure, as breaking into the field is much harder than getting hired as a developer.

I love coaching and have several clients that I am currently working with, I love seeing people get hired and change their lives for the better!  I spend my evenings always learning something new, whether it is coaching a client or something related to programming / testing.  I have a lot to learn if I am ever to get hired as an Ethical Hacker, and as such need to create more time for myself to grow.  I have decided to stop coaching people from this point forward.  I will finish the coaching plans that I have with current clients, but I will no longer be accepting any new clients.

I have helped around 30 people land testing or development positions since starting my blog.  In my book 'No Degree, No Problem' I share a lot of knowledge about switching careers, but I think down the road I will write a new book that gives secrets that I kept for coaching clients only.  Secrets that make landing a job mere child's play :-)  I don't have the time to write the book now, but I think I will write it if I get enough interest from people.  I think the book would change the way that people go about trying to get an entry level job in the testing or development field.

Normally I don't ask for help on the blog, but I have decided since I have many thousands of readers, why not ask for advice myself with my Ethical Hacker journey.  I have Googled the term, I have read many online articles and sites suggesting certifications, but I would love to hear from someone who actually got hired in Cyber Security.  If that is you, I would greatly appreciate any and all advice that you can give me!  My email is: joshuakemp85@gmail.com

Again, this will take me some time I am sure, I will keep you all posted as things progress.  I still love coding and use Ruby almost everyday which is my favorite language, I still plan on blogging as usual!


Keep coding peeps, you can do it!