Saturday, June 20, 2015

The most useful Unix command of all

Hey guys, had an awesome week at work, I love coming to the end of the work week, knowing that I have grown my skills more than they were last week :-)

With that in mind, I thought I would show you one of if not my favorite Unix command that I love using everyday!  I don't want to say the word Ninja, but you will feel like you almost have a super power when using Unix.  Grep is one of the most powerful and useful Unix commands when you understand how to use it properly.

Lots of beginners don't use Grep, because they think it is confusing and miss out of the full potential and time savings of using Grep in their day to day work.  In the video below, I will show you how to use the Faker gem, how to troubleshoot in irb, how to write a super simple Ruby loop and create 1000 names of fake data.  Next I will show you the power of Grep, and search through the data and extract the name we want and write it to a file.

The video below is 7 minutes long, but watching it will save you 7 minutes a day or more once you understand and harness the power of grep :-)







Talk to you all tomorrow :-)  Keep coding peeps!