Friday, July 26, 2013

275 days => 827 hours = HIRED!!!

Fireworks!!!

On October 23rd 2012 I started trying to learn RoR hardcore and to not make excuses, study EVERYDAY no matter how tired, and keep on studying/learning until I landed a job somewhere.

9 months 2 days later I landed a super sweet job at Zip List in Reston Virginia!!! I am SOOO excited for this opportunity, I plan on learning/working my butt off!!

Some people told me that someone without a degree who didn't have an IT background wouldn't be able to get hired.

I just want to encourage you, that if you are willing to study really hard EVERYDAY for a long period of time, that you CAN accomplish your goal and get hired. My secret to success is simple: NEVER give up and eventually you'll get there.

Sorry I didn't have more of a "real" secret :-)

I plan on having a blog post dedicated to the people that helped me out the most and took me under their wing, because I could not have done this on my own.

What a ride, what a journey! I do want to be clear, that this is only the BEGINNING, I will be continuing to blog as always, and share what I learn as I navigate this whole new world.

My end goal has not changed, 4 years from my hire date I want to be an expert full stack Ruby on Rails developer. Let the fun begin :-)

-Josh