Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Learning RoR, 8 months later.

Wow, what a journey. It's been 8 months since I started learning RoR hard core with no excuses, a lot has happened, and I thought I'd give an overview/update.

It's been 1 month after my resume website launch, still not hired as of yet. The day is coming soon though, so no need to freak :-) I've had the oppurtunity to interview over 10 times, with several job offers and contigency offers. If you are worried that you won't be able to get a job as a self taught RoR developer don't be.

This blog is now getting just shy of 1,000 unique visitors per month, over 1,500 visits per month and well over 3,000 page views per month. All I can say is wow!  If you are learning to code regardless of the language I can't recommend enough the need to start a blog today!

I just got an invite to Ruby DCamp which is just the icing on the cake to this whole learning RoR. Only 77 people get to go to Ruby DCamp and yours truly thanks to +David Bock and +Evan Light got in! I am SOOO excited to be going, I've heard so many good things about Ruby DCamp :-)

Every week I receive 5 - 8 emails asking for advice on how to learn to code, I feel slightly like an imposter as I am definitely just a junior developer, but I give what help I can. 8 months ago, I never would have thought that a redneck horseshoer would be giving ANY coding advice, again all I can say is WoW!

Last but not least, the surprise I promised from a while back: I have written an article for Uncollege.org which I was told yesterday is going to be published VERY soon, totally excited about that!

Uncollege.org was started by +Dale J. Stephens  the author of  "Hacking Your Education" which was very inspiring to me,  I highly recommend it!

Please note, I don't receive any royalties from the book, and was not told or asked to mention the book, I just REALLY love what Dale's done :-)

Time to code, can't wait for Arlington Ruby tonight! I can't say now (because I've been sworn to secrecy, but cool stuff is going to be announced tonight. Go +Guille Carlos ! -Josh