Monday, May 6, 2013

Learning Ruby on Rails Day: 195 = The Devil is in the details :-)

Wow, I have learned so much, and have So little to show for it :-)

I mean that in a positive way, I was hoping to get 4 sites completely done on my own in basically 35 - 40 days, spending 3 hours a night working on them. Well I am here to tell you 2 things:

(1) My mind can code a lot faster than my hands actually can.

And

(2) I am so glad I decide to actually start making stuff my self and not just do online tutorials, In hindsight I should have started on real world projects on my own sooner.

What's slowing me down?

(1) Errors: Googling and finding the answer after 2 - 3 hours of trying things that didn't work.

(2) Bugs: I know my site is VERY basic, however, one wrong '/' instead of a '#' in the routes file can have you searching in the wrong file trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

(3) Design: Not knowing how to properly design a website from start to finish. I realize now, I shouldn't have worried at all how the Css looked on my first website attempt, I should have focused on getting the tricky parts out of the way first.


With that said, I can not stress enough how much fun I've had and more confident I feel since making this site on my own. I will be posting a link shortly of the finished site, once I show it to my friend and get the domain name from him.

Next project = Surprise! for May 23rd. I will be giving you updates and telling you how it is going, but I will not be telling you what exactly it is until my surprise release date of May 23rd!

Okay, back to work, the night is young and we all have a lot of coding to do :-)  -Josh