Monday, May 20, 2013

End of Week 30 = 640.75 hours of learning Ruby on Rails!!!

                                                  "We Learn By Doing." - Aristotle


I love that quote, it may not be true for everyone, but it's certainly true for me. I like to read things, but if someone shows me how to do something then I do it, I remember WAY more than just reading an article or tutorial.

Loving my "Secret" site, things are moving right along, the Heroku error I had the other day ended up being an easy fix, I was missing a file on Heroku that apparently I didn't push correctly, that's why the website worked fine using 'rails s' but failed when trying to open with Heroku.

I love a good 1 -1.5 hour error where you keep looking at an error till your eyes fall out, because then I remember the error codes in my mind and can fix the error much quicker next time. I think any developer worth his salt will need to suffer through about 1 million errors till they are any good, I'm not at a million yet, but I fixed one more on the way to getting good.

My ultimate goal once I get hired is to become in the top 5% of Ruby on Rails developers in the next 5 years. I want to keep track of my hours on this blog and see how long it takes me to get to 10,000 hours and also how good I am at that point, so getting hired as a junior dev is just step 1.

Buying my site's domain name today, and working on some Css issues.

 3 days can you feel that?...it's called excitement :-)   Josh