Sunday, March 3, 2013

End of week 19 = 380 hours of studying RoR!!!

End of week 19 of my learning Ruby on Rails journey. I'm very happy with 380 hours of studying so far, I apologize for my lack of blogging this week. I promise to do better this coming week,  my goal is a minimum of three posts per week.

Awesome time working on the pet rescue site with +David Bock  and +Jason Wieringa today, learned a ton. I feel like sitting down for 3-5 hours with a mentor pair programming is worth 9-15 hours of studying on your own! I can't tell you all the cool things I've been learning about Rails and making a website just in general!

On a different front, I currently shoe horses for a living. I've been shoeing horses for over  7 years on my own and in that time I've developed several hundred horses that I take care of on a consistent basis.

 I was thinking how cool it would be to make a database with Rails that stored all my clients and horses information. Not exactly sure how I would do it, I would love to have it as an app on my phone I could just click on and search. I was talking to Jason about it today and he had a good idea of maybe hosting the database as a website online and than just accessing it through my phone. I think I may slowly start working on the idea as a useful side project when I get some free time.

380 hours, When I started keep track on Oct. 23rd it felt like I would never reach 500 or 1,000 hours, but now with 380 study hours 500 seems so close and 1,000 within reach. I'm Feeling totally encouraged with this whole learning Ruby on Rails journey, things are clicking and making more and more sense at a faster pace. I think my brain is slowly beginning to think in patterns and picking out similar patterns quicker.-Josh