Sunday, January 13, 2013

Learn Ruby The Hard Way: Lesson 47

I love Zed Shaw's books, but dang do they get hard at the end. There are 52 lessons in "Learn Ruby The Hard Way",  and I bet you could start on Lesson 1 and go all the way to Lesson 43 in a about a week or two...but when you hit Lesson 44 and on, it gets really tough for a noob like myself.

I've made it to Lesson 47: Automated Testing and I was like "Holy Crap!...what's this, I'm lost!" However with further googling and reading I feel a little better and will tackle it this week. Tomorrow starts  Lectures 3 and 4 of Berkeley's edX Saas course. I'm so excited to jump into it tomorrow, I'm going to go study in the a.m. before I go to work, I'm hoping they've released the next material for the course by tomorrow morning so I can get started on it.

I'm going to push Lesson 46: Project Skelton's assignment that I made to Github tonight, if anyone want to check it out, or clone it.

 Just as an update as we end week 12, I put in 20 hours of study this week, and 229.25 hours of total study. My end goal was to put in roughly 500 - 1,000 hours of study till I would hopefully  be good enough for a junior RoR development position.

All the best, and if anyone is ever in need of any help on a RoR rails tutorial or something, feel free to drop me a line and I'll do my best to help. -Josh